Petra ... This is such a sensitive issue, so integral to our social system today! We are heavily involved in a local youth sports program ... OMG .... the issues that are constantly surfacing with the kids are amazing and very very sad! Adults need to be vigilant and help these poor kids deal with this pressure!
Words Can Kill - Bullying Happens In Every SchoolBullying happens in every school, even the smallest elementary, middle and high schools throughout Polk County FL. Kids are committing suicides because they don't feel appreciated and don't see an end in sight. Bullying goes beyond schools and online social media sites, like Facebook and MySpace are the perfect place to continue the harassment. Abusive children abuse like minded children. Schools because of budget cuts have limited resources and parents need to get involved.Such harassment doesn't stop there, with almost every child having a cell phone the bullying goes on via texting. Non-stop bullying in every corner and in almost every household where school age children are living. I believe at least from the report here in Polk County Fl, middle school children are most affected by bullying. I have a middle school grandchild and this is one of my fears she will be at any given time bullied.What can parents do when their child is being depressed, doesn't want to talk, comes home with bruises, has headaches and doesn't want to go to school any more?
- Speak to teachers, guidance counselors, school administrator and resource officers.
- Report the incident to the school board.
- Talk with other parents
- Be vigilant about your child's safety.
- Moving the child to another school may not be helpful as bullying can be carried out online.
- Research school's policy about bullying
- Be involved in the school's parent board
- Volunteer at your child's schoolThese are only a few tips and parents may think that this will pass soon, it is only a phase my child is in. Don't take it lightly. According to national statistics, 160,000 kids stay home everyday from school because they are afraid of being bullied. Nationally, 77% of students experience some kind of bullying.I suspect that the Polk County bullying-related statistic is far below the actual numbers, due to the fact that children do not speak up.For more information about Polk County's bullying prevention and intervention, please visit the Polk County School Board's web site or click here: Parent Bullying ResourcesI hope you found this post useful! If you need help finding or selling your Lakeland, Florida home, please contact Petra Norris - REALTOR(R) at 863-619-6918. If you’re new to Lakeland, I’d especially like to extend a warm welcome. I value my clients and provide them with honest, reliable service. Allow me to introduce you to the Lakeland FL real estate landscape and all it has to offer.
Copyright © 2011 By Petra Norris *Words Can Kill - Bullying Happens In Every School *
Petra Norris - REALTOR®, SFR
Managing Broker - CDV TransAtlantic, Inc.
(863) 619-6918Search Lakeland FL Homes For Sale | Lakeland FL Short Sale Agents
Lakeland FL Short Sales | Buying Lakeland FL Short Sales